[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd log file displays error (solution)

Charles Cashion papacharles at dunjas.com
Sun Mar 6 23:40:34 UTC 2005

Charles wrote:

>/var/log/ntpd.log contains many lines...
>
>5 Mar 21:28:40 ntpd[28893]: can't open /var/lib/ntp.drift.TEMP:
>Permission denied
>
>Actually, from the time stamp, this message is repeating every 3
>seconds.
>
>Thank you for helping...
>Charles

There were multiple problems...
First /var/lib/ntp/drift was declared within /etc/ntp.conf
    => so /var/lib/ntp.drift was not good grammar

Second  /var/lib/ntp was owned by root, so I  did a chown to ntp
and I get no more "Permission denied" messages.

I would always rather be part of the solution than the precipitate.
Tnx to all for suggestions,
Charles

I have another small question.
When I type "ntpq -np" the bottom line has .CDMA. in the
column headed "refid". What is .CDMA. ?
Tnx again,
Charles