[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd on Windows XP

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 07:37:35 UTC 2005

In article <dN2dnW9-DubMTdzfRVn-pA at comcast.com>,
Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:

> " burst

> on the server."   (Add explanation of the exact circumstances in which
> using this might be appropriate. (We certainly don't want people just

I seem to remember that the purpose was to support demand dialling.

> plugging this in "because it's there"!!!))

But human psychology is such that they will.  (Mine's better than yours.)

> Iburst
> Recommended for most servers.  Initializes the association quickly by

It's unclear as to whether server refers to the remote machine
(in which case there will be confusion because, whilst it is not
useful for reference clocks, "server" is used for those in the
configuration file), or whether it is loose usage for the local
machine, which is really a client in this context.

> sending eight packets at intervals of two seconds except that the first
> may be delayed by sixteen seconds to allow for modem dialup.  After the

If those extra delays are present, they are a hangover from "burst" as
iburst isn't suitable for demand dial as it makes no allowance for
bringing up the link except on the first connection.