[ntp:questions] Re: Mother Of All Clocks

Mxsmanic mxsmanic at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 29 12:07:57 UTC 2005

Todd Knarr writes:

> Physical dispersement at least gives you the time it takes for him
> to walk from one rack to another to catch the alarms and stop the
> failure before more than a couple or three networks are hosed.

That won't help.  I once crashed several systems while trying to debug
some privileged software that (unbeknownst to me) exposed a bug in the
OS.  When the first system crashed, I just moved to a different system.
When I got a disconnect from the system at the very instant my program
ran on the last system, though, a light suddenly went on in my head and
my hair stood at bit on end as I waited for the inevitable telephone
call.  Sure enough, the phone rang a few minutes later.  Very
embarrassing, although hardly the worst mistake I've ever made.