[ntp:questions] ntp client: keep all servers at startup

Ralf Fassel ralfixx at gmx.de
Wed May 4 16:39:19 UTC 2005

* mike <michael.no.spam.cook at wanadoo.fr>
| That's what I thought. But in a quick test it did not appear to be the case.
--<snip-snip>--
| pull the ether connection
| stop/start ntpd
| wait a bit (ntpdate times ot very slowly) and put back the ether cable:
--<snip-snip>--
|    the pool.ntp.org servers are not listed

That's exactly the problem.  After some initial timeout, the server is
simply not considered at all any longer.  Only the LOCAL clock is
listed in the ntpq output, and the server does not magically come back
into the listing after some time.  In comparison, if the server is
reachable at startup and becomes unreachable later, it keeps getting
listed, though with a reach of 0 (or was that "-"?).

I will have a look at the broadcast suggestion you mentioned in the
other posting.  Sounds like that might work.

Thanks
R'