[ntp:questions] ntp client: keep all servers at startup

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Wed May 4 17:18:08 UTC 2005

Ralf Fassel <ralfixx at gmx.de> wrote:

> * mike <michael.no.spam.cook at wanadoo.fr>
> | That's what I thought. But in a quick test it did not appear to be the case.
> --<snip-snip>--
> | pull the ether connection
> | stop/start ntpd
> | wait a bit (ntpdate times ot very slowly) and put back the ether cable:
> --<snip-snip>--
> |    the pool.ntp.org servers are not listed
>
> That's exactly the problem.  After some initial timeout, the server is
> simply not considered at all any longer.  Only the LOCAL clock is
> listed in the ntpq output, and the server does not magically come back
> into the listing after some time.  In comparison, if the server is
> reachable at startup and becomes unreachable later, it keeps getting
> listed, though with a reach of 0 (or was that "-"?).

Is that ntpd timing out on initial DNS resolution of the server names,
though?  What happens if you use the IP address(es) for the server(s)
in ntp.conf?

Also might be helpful to know the version of ntpd and what OS you're
running.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for