[ntp:questions] OpenBSD: WWV reference clock driver does not work

Kurt Raschke kurt at raschke.net
Sat May 7 18:02:27 UTC 2005

I'm trying to get the WWV audio reference clock driver to work on
OpenBSD 3.6 on i386.  I built and installed NTP 4.2.0 from ports; the
build went fine, but when I try to run ntpd it fails:

addto_syslog: audio: invalid control device parameters
addto_syslog: internal error: refclockio structure not found

Relevant contents of /etc/ntpd.conf:

server 127.127.36.0
fudge 127.127.36.0 flag2 0

/etc/ntp.audio0:
idev    /dev/audio
cdev    /dev/mixer
agc     mic
monitor vol

uname -a output:
OpenBSD console.raschke.net 3.6 GENERIC#59 i386

I am not sure if this is a new problem or if the WWV refclock driver
has ever worked on OpenBSD; I have seen references online to the driver
working on FreeBSD, Solaris, and Linux.  It may be that the NTP WWV
refclock driver simply won't run under OpenBSD in its present state.

-Kurt Raschke