[ntp:questions] Re: A Clock That Runs for 10,000 Years

Wed Nov 2 15:08:35 UTC 2005

folkert at vanheusden.com (Folkert van Heusden) writes:

> Read on slashdot:
> "Discover magazine is running an article about a clock designed to run
> accurately for 10,000 years. It's essentially a "future-proof" clock

I thought I knew that already as "sundial". Proven by history. Otherwise it
the device is using any form of energy, it's likely that it won't survive the
next 100 years (because of "progress" in technology) ;-)

Regards,
Ulrich

> that blurs the line between art and functionality through advanced
> engineering. From the article: 'Everything about this clock is deeply
> unusual. For example, while nearly every mechanical clock made in the
> last millennium consists of a series of propelled gears, this one uses a
> stack of mechanical binary computers capable of singling out one moment
> in 3.65 million days. Like other clocks, this one can track seconds,
> hours, days, and years. Unlike any other clock, this one is being
> constructed to keep track of leap centuries, the orbits of the six
> innermost planets in our solar system, even the ultraslow wobbles of
> Earth's axis.'"
> http://keetweej.vanheusden.com/redir.php?id=34
[...]