[ntp:questions] Re: Unix Command

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Nov 29 10:51:21 UTC 2005

Sahay,

Sahay wrote:
> hello ,
> please tell me command in Unix for synchronising time .
>
> in windows when we write net time in command prompt it gives the time .
> what is the command in Unix platform

Most Unix systems are shipped with NTP, that's what this newsgroup is about.
You can find an introduction here:
http://www.meinberg.de/english/info/ntp.htm

NTP runs as a service (so called daemon under Unix) in the background and
synchronizes the system time continuously.

If you just want to send a query to a NTP server and display what time is it
on that server, you can use the ntpdate command with the "query only"
option "-q":

# ntpdate -q gateway
server 172.16.3.2, stratum 1, offset 0.000227, delay 0.02582
29 Nov 11:49:07 ntpdate[24596]: adjust time server 172.16.3.2 offset
0.000227 sec

This means that the estimated time difference between host gateway and my
local machine is 227 microseconds.

Hope this helps,

Martin
--