[ntp:questions] Re: NTP Multicast server/client?

Wilhelm Greiner wilhelm.greiner at web.de
Tue Oct 4 18:48:40 UTC 2005

Hi,
* David Woolley <david at djwhome.demon.co.uk> schrieb:
>  In article <433E0D98.6070004 at gis.net>, mayer at gis.net (Danny Mayer) wrote:
> > Wilhelm Greiner wrote:
> > > Also i see when ntpd with debugging runs that it transmits any packets
> > > to find out is the way back reachable.

>  Also, I believe that if you enable authentication, and that is strongly
>  encouraged for broadcast, this exchange is mandatory to negotiate keys.
>  (I vaguely remember that authentication is defaulted on for broadcast.)

Yes i have the recommended authentication enabled via trustedkey etc.
(see config example above) - only the minimal standard options are in
use.

"mandatory" seems like it is a "must", but the host is not reachable,
a ntpdate -d multicastserver says "no server suitable for synchronization found"

But it works fine as daemon.

>  I believe this is what the person wants disables, although he hasn't
>  explained why.

The way back to the multicastserver can have a false delay, that
would falsify the time, also this can trigger an unwanted dial in.

In the most cases the way back is not reachable.

mfg Wilhelm