[ntp:questions] Re: ntp client over satellite and no CMOS battery

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Sat Oct 8 06:09:54 UTC 2005

>I seems to remember reading somewhere that Big Ben actually uses NTP to
>stay accurate.

Many years ago, there was an article in the back of Scientific
American about making a grandfather clock keep great time.  Anybody
else remember that one?  Got a date?

I think the pendulum had a small magnet on an arm going through
a coil with some circutry to pulse the coil in sync with the
correct time.  It would gently push/pull on the pendulum to
dudge it in the right direction.

I wonder what a modern version would use?  Obviously, the source
of "correct" time would use NTP.  How would you push/pull the
pendulum?
  Robot arm to add/remove coins?
  A puff of air aimed at the pendulum?
  Vaccuum pump to reduce air pressure and hence drag?
  Heater to tweak the temperature slightly?