[ntp:questions] Re: ***SPAM*** Re: Philosophical question about strata

Bjorn Gabrielsson bg at lysator.liu.se
Fri Oct 14 14:09:26 UTC 2005

brad at stop.mail-abuse.org (Brad Knowles) writes:

> >                              Won't each stratum-1 only believe it's own
> >  directly attached stratum-0 reference?  Or will a large enough swarm
> >  of stratum-1's all with similar times be able to win the selection
> >  contest against a failed stratum-0?
>
> 	Yes.  Even if there is a Stratum 0 refclock attached, if it's
> far enough off from the rest of the servers, then it should get voted
> off the island and the system should instead select one of the servers
> as its SYSPEER.

With kernel PPS active, my server will not let go of a bad GPS.

How do you defend against your connection "adding" delay - busy
routers etc? With lots of internal S-1 servers its no problem, but
with only one internal and the rests via the network, you might want
to belive your GPS over even a large herd of Internet servers.

--
    Björn