[ntp:questions] Re: step-tickers

Wed Oct 19 13:11:38 UTC 2005

jjaffari at cisco.com (Jarrar Jaffari jjaffari) writes:

> Hello All,
>
> I am really really confused about the file /etc/ntp/step-tickers.
>
> IN linux /etc/init.d/ntpd script reads it and depending on that it calls
> ntpdate on
> the servers in the file.

Hi!

To clarify: That is Redhat Linux (only?). For Novell SUSE Linux you'd use
/etc/sysconfig/ntp and the variable "NTPD_INITIAL_NTPDATE". The comments says:

# Usually it's a good idea to get the current time and date
# from some other ntp server, before the local xntpd is started.
# - Set XNTPD_INITIAL_NTPDATE="AUTO" to query ALL servers listed
#   in the configuration file (/etc/ntp.conf).
# - Set XNTPD_INITIAL_NTPDATE="AUTO-{NUMBER}" to query the first {NUMBER}
#   servers listed in the configuration file. E.g. "AUTO-2".
# Otherwise provide a space-separated list of ntp servers to query, or
# set XNTPD_INITIAL_NTPDATE="" to do no initial query at all.
#

Regards,
Ulrich