[ntp:questions] Re: NTP, no external time source, peering "Undisciplined Local Clocks" ?

Eric ejensen at spamcop.net
Wed Oct 19 17:46:03 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:19:11 GMT, mmolteni at cisco.com (Marco Molteni)
wrote for the entire planet to see:

>Say I don't know if a clock is better than the other, so by configuring
>B and C to use A as server I risk to have a not so good time if A is
>unreliable.
>
>Can I configure A,B,C to peer with each other in a meshed fashion, so
>to have each clock influenced by all the others?

The general feeling on this ng is that this is not a good application
for NTP.

I would go further, and say it is a poor design using any type of
software.  Sure, you may get some weird approximation of the average
clock errors around your network, but it will still drift, by an
unknown amount.

Three PCs, all of which don't know the time, can't really help each
other find it.

- Eric