[ntp:questions] Re: Large offset problem with xntpd 3.4x, DEC UNIX, and TrueTime NTS-100s

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Sat Sep 10 19:14:32 UTC 2005

You know what problems you have.

I think you may want to see what happens if you take "some" of your client
machines and turn them in to S2 servers, and run more recent versions of NTP
on these machines.  The S2 machines should get time from the S1 servers and
peer with each other.  One of these machines should run a local refclock at
S3, anothe machine at S5, and perhaps a third machine at S7.

Have the rest of your machines sync to the S2 machines only.

You may not need to upgrade ntp on the client machines, but I certainly
recommend it for the S2 machines.

The alpha machines you have probably have Excellent clock chips in them.

Otherwise I'd recommend finding some old x86 boxes and running FreeBSD on
them and using them as the S2 machines.