[ntp:questions] # sign on ntpq -np command

Yasemin yyazici at netas.com.tr
Tue Sep 13 08:38:59 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I have a question for people who know NTP, which is probably an easy one.

I am trying to develop my own ntp monitoring process on bash script.
Currently, I am checking the "*" sign on my NTP server at "ntpq -np" command
output to decide NTP is working properly.

On my tests where I restart the NTP daemon on my NTP server, I see "#" sign
at ntpq -np output at client side after some time. The reach value is
greater then 37. I am not chaning the server and * comes out some time
after. I could not determine a certain time since the eginning of my
testings, it changes.

47.168.18.190 A[AB]+> ntpq -np
disp
==
#47.168.18.12    47.165.149.1     5 u    7   64  377     0.61   16.827
9.60

and

47.168.18.190 A[AB]+> ntpq -np
disp
==
*47.168.18.12    47.165.149.1     4 u   15   64  377     0.53  -40.170
14.02

The question is, why do I see two different signs for the same server and
can I take # as successfull NTP synch?

Note: My ntp.conf file is:

driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
authenticate no
restrict default ignore
restrict 127.0.0.1

server 47.168.18.12
restrict 47.168.18.12 nomodify

Kind Regards and thanks a lot for your interest.

Yasemin