[ntp:questions] Re: # sign on ntpq -np command

Yasemin yyazici at netas.com.tr
Wed Sep 14 16:04:54 UTC 2005

Hi,

First of all, thanks everybody who had answered.

I have seen the documentation but sorry, I could not decide if I could take
it as a success. I have only one NTP server in my system and have to trust
it for being safe. And, this same server, gives me the "*" sign after some
time. .

Reading the mails, I have seen that ntpq -c rv command gives some
information about the NTP also. On that output, there is a field which have
value sync_ntp when the sign is * or #, and sync_unspec for failure cases.
As a result these made me think of taking the # also success. I hope I am
not wrong. And also, I am open to any other recommendations for ntp
monitoring.

My next issue is, NTP sometimes looses synch (long term of communication
problem with server for example) and can not recover unless I restart it. I
am trying to determine the other situations/reasons for such cases to decide
xntpd restart.

And on each restart I have to wait 4x64=266 seconds for NTP to become synch.
Is there a way to degrease this value as I use the "ntpdate ntpserver"
command before starting the xntp daemon.

Thanks again for your kind helps,

Yasemin

news:slrndig82v.fmp.kostecke at stasis.kostecke.net...