[ntp:questions] Re: A question about One shot tiem set (ntpd -q)

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 23 00:28:18 UTC 2005

Jarrar Jaffari wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> This mailing list has been very informational for me so far.
>
> I have a question about one shot time adjustment in ntpd (on Linux).
> We have seen that
> at times a one shot time adjustment:
>
> $ ntpd -q -g
>
> Just hangs forever. Have any one else seen this ? What is that I am
> doing wrong ? How to
> debug it. I checked my /etc/ntp.conf and every thing looks fine. Any
> ideas ?
>
> For the same server $ntpdate <server> just works great.
>
> Jarrar

You really haven't included enough information!

If you start ntpd without the -g -q, what happens?  Wait ten minutes and
use ntpq -p.  What does the output look like?   Are all your configured
servers reachable?   Do they have reasonable delay and jitter values?
Is one server selected for synchronization?  (prefixed with "*").
Have you configured at least four servers?   Did you include restrict
statements?  Are they correct?  Does ntpd work if you remove all
restrict statements?

What version of nptd are you running?   Which Linux distribution?  Which
version?  What hardware are you running it on?   Are you behind a
firewall?   Is port 123 open for UDP?

Try again!  Post your ntp.conf.   Answer all the questions above and
perhaps someone can help you!