[ntp:questions] Re: A Question about Configuring and Starting NTP

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Fri Sep 23 02:09:31 UTC 2005

On 2005-09-23, OCDave <dharman at lin-nett.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to implement NTP on two Linux Boxes - one is
> Red Hat 9 and the other is Fedora Core 3

<snip>

> I entered these IP addresses into /etc/ntp.conf and Start the service.
>
> When I run ntpq -p I get the following

<snip: ntpq billboard showing no communication with remote time servers>

> I can do traceroutes to each time server, so I know they are online.

First, check your ntp.conf for a 'restrict default ignore' line.
If you find one, you'll need to add a 'restrict aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd'
line for each of your remote time servers (where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
is that time-server's IP address). You may find the information on
http://ntp.isc.org/Support/AccessRestrictions useful in configuring your
ntpd restrictions.

Then, if there's no restriction problem, you need to make sure that port
123/UDP is open on any firewalls that are between your system and the
Internet.

> Should I enter the names/IP addresses in the Step-Tickers or
> The Ntpservers ?

step-tickers is a RedHat-ism that is used for ntpdate, not ntpd.