[ntp:questions] Re: stratum

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 26 13:07:35 UTC 2005

VORMS THIERRY Externe wrote:

>Thank you for the response about the stratum.
>
>Usually, what is the maximum nomber of machines linked to a NTP server
>with a stratum of 1, and for a higher stratum ?
>
>Thanks a lot for your help.
>
>Thierry

The "maximum" number of clients a server can handle depends on many
things.  Perhaps the most  important consideration is network
bandwidth.   I've read somewhere that rackety.udel.edu, a stratum one
server, run on a Sun IPX (antique hardware (12-15 years old??), serves
something like 672 clients and uses a large fraction of a T1 line
(1.5Mbits/second).   Modern hardware, served by a T3 line (45Mb/second
and ca. $8000 US/month) should be able to handle forty-five to fifty
thousand clients, assuming that the clients are well behaved.