[ntp:questions] Re: Peer to Peer

Mark St Laurent stormrunner'_removethis' at comcast.net
Tue Sep 27 00:17:49 UTC 2005

The following commands run from command line

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:(ciscorouter ip) /syncfromflags:manual /update
{for Windows XP}
[this config appears to force sync against list rather than PDC]

w32tm -v -once -period 65532 {for Windows 2000}

appear to perform some form of time sync and appear to be doing so via port
123. Granted given that the second example switch (-period 65532) only
updates every 8 hours the 20 ms tolerance is not sustainable. Is this what
you mean by "W32Time does not support broadcast [S]NTP" or that it does not
update via these broadcasts period. It appears to be working am I missing
something?

{A drawback to W32time config above is someone invoking time applet from
system tray which overwrites reg file. I am hoping local group policy can
avert this.}

> It's arguably a first party implementation as it is the reference
> implementation
By third party I meant not native to operating system requiring a separate
install.What product are you referring to as the "reference implementation"
and how is it available.

My objective here is to sync within 1 min for coordination of batch files
dependant upon tasks running on peer PC's,  the reliability factor is more
important to me than the tolerance.

Thanks for your time.

news:T1127767049 at djwhome.demon.co.uk...