[ntp:questions] Re: Servers just doen't work (after following the troubleshooting page)

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Tue Sep 27 12:57:25 UTC 2005

On 2005-09-26, S P Arif Sahari Wibowo <arifsaha at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am setting up two ntp servers. The two servers can synchronize
> their time, but it won't serve.

Your two servers won't even talk to each other:

> [root at server1 /]# ntpq -p
<snip>
> ntp2.<mydomain> 0.0.0.0 16 u -  256 0 0.000 0.000 4000.00

> [root at server2 /]# ntpq -p
<snip>
> ntp1.<mydomain> 0.0.0.0 16 u -  256 0 0.000 0.000 4000.00

So it's not surprising to see that your client(s) can't talk to those
servers either.

You need to ensure that port 123/udp is open between both of your
servers and between your servers and your client systems.

> ntp.conf (for both server almost identical, except for peer):
> server ntp.cso.uiuc.edu
> server ntp5.tamu.edu
> server ntp2.kansas.net
>
> peer ntp2
>
> driftfile /etc/ntp/drift

The following configuration file lines appear to be unneeded (although
they have nothing to do with the problem we're discussing):

> broadcastdelay	0.008

The broadcastdelay line specifies the default propagation delay from the
broadcast/multicast server to this client. This line is necessary only
if this ntpd is operating as a broadcastclient and the delay cannot be
computed automatically by the protocol.

> keys		/etc/ntp/keys

This line specifies the location of the symmetric key file and does not
do anything unless you complete your authentication configuration.