[ntp:questions] Post processing of NTP data...

Val Schmidt vschmidt at ccom.unh.edu
Tue Sep 27 14:48:11 UTC 2005

I've embedded some further questions below.

By the way, thanks for the insight.

On Sep 27, 2005, at 5:05 AM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 5:08 PM -0400 2005-09-26, Val Schmidt wrote:
>

>>  I want to log several things with time stamps on the order of ~ .
>> 1ms -
>>  maybe less.
>>

>     Most modern OSes don't allow you to directly achieve better
> than 10-20ms accuracy at the level of an individual event.  Some
> real-time operating systems (RTOSes) may allow you to achieve finer
> resolution at that level, but I don't know if any of them are going
> to let you get down to the level you want.

Can you help me understand why?

Setting aside for a moment the issue of ntp itself and the roping in
of the system clock, is the crux of the problem that the processing
of interrupts is too unpredictable?

In my simplistic way of thinking of things, assuming the clock is
sufficiently accurate, it seems to me the ability to time-stamp an
event appropriately should be directly proportional to the time it
takes to recognize that the event has occurred and retrieve a time
stamp. When an event occurs and an interrupt is registered, the speed
of the processor or more accurately, the speed in which it can be
preempted seems to me to be the limiting factor. Is this the correct
way to think about things?

Then returning to the system clock, would making data logging system
itself a stratum 1 server provide sufficient stability for ~.1ms
stable long-term time-keeping? It occurs to me that even a stratum 1
server is at the mercy of interrupt processing when the reference
clock registers a new signal of some kind. I don't suppose ntp does
any kind of benchmarking of the system on which it's running in some
attempt to determine and correct for the interrupt latency of the OS.

-Val

Val Schmidt
CCOM/JHC
University of New Hampshire