[ntp:questions] Re: stratum

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at sun.removeme.com
Thu Sep 29 18:42:59 UTC 2005

Brian Utterback wrote:
> Brad Knowles wrote:
>
>>>                                                                   I've
>>>  read somewhere that rackety.udel.edu, a stratum one server, run on a
>>> Sun
>>>  IPX (antique hardware (12-15 years old??), serves something like 672
>>>  clients and uses a large fraction of a T1 line (1.5Mbits/second).
>>

>>     It's north of 600, which is the limit of what ntpd can track.  I
>> don't know that anyone has sat down with a network sniffer on the same
>> cable to actually count the average number of clients over any given
>> period of time.
>

> Over a one hour period this morning, rackety serviced 2658 unique
> IP addresses. This should have picked up any clients that polled
> at 1024 seconds or less in the standard polling range. Clients at
> longer poll intervals will have suqsequently smaller server
> impact.

In the three days since I posted the above, rackety has served the
time to an astounding 53,059 unique clients. Way to go Rackety!

(Did you know that a search on Google for the terms "pogo" and
"rackety" together, the number one hit is a PPT preso from
Dr. Mills. Po' ol' Walt Kelly has dropped to 2nd)

--
blu

Remember when SOX compliant meant they were both the same color?