[ntp:questions] NTP for dummies

Bob Beers bob.beers at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 14:13:05 UTC 2005

I sympathize with the OP. I too am trying tomake use of this
fine tool, but am overwhelmed at times.

Brad Knowles says:

> The community supported documentation does include some links to
> "quick start guides and hints" at
> <http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/QuickStartIndex>, which might be
> your best bet.

I have been to this link and found this quote, which I have seen refuted
numerous times on this list, should it be corrected?

3.2.3. Pick your servers

Find some public servers that you can sync with. Two is good enough.

Isn't four the generally agreed upon minimum, especially if your box
will in turn serve time to others, and one is enough if, for example,
you are simply a time client? In any case two and three are considered
bad choices, yes?

-Bob