[ntp:questions] Re: w32tm DC error

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Wed Apr 12 02:42:30 UTC 2006

Franz wrote:
> I had installed Meinberg NTP server binary, but it did not work
> neither.

What do you mean that it did not work? What were the symptoms?
Are you running XP SP2? If so did you configure your firewall to allow
packets in both directions on 123/UDP port?

Furthermore I just need an ordinary NTP client, which gets a
> synchronized NTP timestamp. I have to implement NTP then in a C++
> program, which should run on ordinary Windows machines.

NTPd already does that. Why reinvent the wheel?

>> you can use netstat -an |grep "123" from the DOS Command line to get a
>> short list of ntp ports.
> The command netstat -an |grep "123" didn't work on my machine.

Did you use Command or cmd? You should be using cmd. Command is garbage.
hmm, that grep is in my own private set of binaries.

> *TRACE & ENVIRONMENT*
> My computer is directly connected to the internet and I tried to trace
> time.windows.com and europe.pool.ntp.org. As you can see in
> http://www.servus-web.de/sweden/thesis/tracert.txt  time.microsoft.com
> timed out, but for europe.pool.ntp.org can be traced, but still the
> result of "w32tm /monitor /computers:europe.pool.ntp.org" is:
> europe.pool.ntp.org [82.67.125.122]:
>     ICMP: 94ms delay.
>     NTP: error ERROR_TIMEOUT - no response from server in 1000ms
>
> *EVENTVIEWER / EVENTLOG*
> Unfortunately, I missed some error messages in the EventViewer, because
> they have been recently in "Application" instead of "System";

ntpd puts them in Application because that's what it is.

> however, I don't get the reason for the error:
> The description for Event ID ( 17 ) in Source ( W32Time ) cannot be
> found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
> computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
> description; see Help and Support for details. The following
> information is part of the event: time.microsoft.com; A socket
> operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751); 60.

I can't help you with w32time but it is most unlikely that it doesn't
have the necessary message file.

> *SQL SERVER*
> I read in
> http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-trbl-spec.htm#S-TRBL-SPEC-WINNT that MS
> SQL Server might cause problems for NTP, so I stopped SQL Server (but
> did not de-install it).

SQL Server? How could there be any interaction with NTP? NTP uses UDP
and SQL TCP and runs on different ports. There's no reference to SQL on
that page. Did you send the wrong URL?

> *ETHEREAL*
> ethereal only catches outgoing NTP packets, but no incoming NTP
> packets.
>
> So it seems that NTP packets are sent to the NTP server, but the
> response packet can't reach my computer. Any idea?

Which means you have a firewall in the way.

Danny