[ntp:questions] Re: Clock accuracy & auto setting : digital television does a crap job of providing time services...

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 23 15:11:40 UTC 2006

You have no need to know wrote:

> Abandoning the right to remain silent, Marc Brett at Fri, 21 Apr 2006
> 08:40:57 +0100 said:

>>>ATSC and DVB-T (DVB in general) are devoid of a 64 bit (or 80 bit) clock
>>>packet (based on NTP and 'Unix Time').
>>>
>>>For people to be forced to rely upon GNSS (Glonass, GPS, Galileo) for a
>>>time signal is rather immoral when TV transmitters (and radio too,
>>>remember RDS) pump out many megawatts of signal each day (globally).
>>
>>Immoral?  That's a bit strong, innit?  You don't NEED to rely on
>>satellites for time signals.  There are many LF radio time signals, such
>>as WWV, WWVB, WWVH, CHU, MSF, DCF77, and others.  CDMA cell phone towers
>>broadcast a time signal.
>

> Immoral sounds good to me. If you can point me in the direction of an LF
> receiver that works in Australia I might reconsider.
>
> Or a CDMA receiver at a price similar to one of those LF receivers that
> everyone raves about.

And where did the Lord assign anyone the duty to provide you with a time
signal?  The United States Government built, launched, and maintains a
network of twenty-seven GPS satellites at no cost to the Australian
citizen.  A Garmin GPS18-LVC timing receiver will cost you less than
$100 US.

The only "morality" involved is the questionable "morality" of believing
that the world owes you a time signal at no cost to you.

Perhaps the Japanese can help you out.  I seem to recall that JJY
broadcasts a time signal; ISTR I heard it on 5MHz when I was stationed
in Japan.