[ntp:questions] Re: Clock accuracy & auto setting : digital television does a crap job of providing time services...

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at uk.me.buzzard
Mon Apr 24 19:23:21 UTC 2006

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:46:26 +0100, Marc Brett wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:03:23 GMT, You have no need to know
> <anjahnoaoed at fl.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Immoral sounds good to me. If you can point me in the direction of an LF
>>receiver that works in Australia I might reconsider.
>
> At your service:
>
> http://tufi.alphalink.com.au/time/time_lf.html
>
> "I'd thought you would be interested to know that my SEIKO world global radio
> wave control radio, purchased in Japan very recently, is receiving (but not
> every day) a signal here in Perth WA showing JPW (i.e. Japan West), namely JJY
> 60 kHz!  The angle of the clock can affect reception (and some times I see it
> cycling through the British, German, Japanese and US stations without result, so
> it must be a very weak signal).   I set it at -1 hour and it shows deadly
> accurate time Perth WA time!"

There is no "can" about the angle of the clock affecting reception. It is
critical that the ferrite rod is at right angles to the transmitter for
maximum pickup.

Note that a bigger antenna will likely help a lot.

    http://www.c-maxgroup.com/tech/antenna.php

Anyone want to give my radioclock design a go. I have some preliminarily
JJY decoding, that needs testing against a real time signal.

JAB.

Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44 1661-832195