[ntp:questions] Re: problem of ntpd on W2K DCs

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Fri Apr 28 14:50:16 UTC 2006

Elli,

BigHug wrote:
> Martin,
> Those servers are DCs. I doubt any one will fool around on them. No
> Quicktime or any video player running. How can find out the multimedia
> timer has been modified? BTW, I did another DC in this morning. And it
> didn't require reboot. Guess that those 3 DCs just need some kicks. I
> still have several DCs to install. If I have the same problem, I'll
> report back.

Please nothe that the Windows multimedia timers are not necessarily used
only by multimedia programs. Any other program could do so.

Are you running Dell Poweredge servers? There's currently another thread in
the NG with time sync problems on those.

I've got a little tool which runs in the command line and reports what's
going on with Windows time synchronization:
http://www.meinberg.de/download/utils/windows/log_adj-1.4.zip

It does not modify the Windows system time in any way, but you can run it
with a command line parameter which let's the program modify the Windows MM
timers while it is running. Since the system time only jumps back and forth
if the MM timers are set high and back low, keeping the log_adj program
running with the -m parameter in a command line window should make it
settle, if it's due to the MM timers.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki