[ntp:questions] Re: PPS SYNC DISABLED

Thomas Laus lausts at acm.org
Thu Aug 10 11:19:53 UTC 2006

On 2006-08-09, Eugen COCA <ecoca at eed.usv.ro> wrote:
> I have in messages.log a lot of messages from the ntpd service. The
> messages are:
>
> Aug  9 09:51:03 ntp1 ntpd[62681]: kernel time sync disabled 2307
> Aug  9 09:51:57 ntp1 ntpd[62681]: pps sync disabled
> Aug  9 09:52:09 ntp1 ntpd[62681]: kernel time sync enabled 2107
>
> This is a good situation. The server is synced with the GPS signal and
> report stratum 1.
>
>>From time to time (I could not determine if there are any factors that
> could influence this behavior) I have:
>
> Aug  9 07:13:10 ntp1 ntpd[59412]: pps sync disabled
> Aug  9 07:20:34 ntp1 ntpd[59412]: pps sync disabled
> Aug  9 07:28:50 ntp1 ntpd[59412]: pps sync disabled
>
> and the server is not synced with the GPS signal.
>
> To correct this last situation I have to restart the ntpd process.

I guess that it is time to enable some of the ntp logging system to rule
out any issues with your serial port DCD pin getting read.  There are
some issues with serial port handling code with FreeBSD6 that will be
resolved when FreeBSD7 is promoted to mainstream.  FreeBSD5 does not
have this problem.

I am using FreeBSD6-Stable with an Oncore and I get PPS syc enabled and
disabled messages whenever the satellite positions change throughout the
day.  I have never observed a pps sync disabled that is permanent unless
the serial cable to the GPS is removed.

Tom

--
Public Keys: