[ntp:questions] Re: follow up on Windows 2003 SP1 Time Service versus ntpd

Eugen COCA ecoca at eed.usv.ro
Mon Aug 14 05:19:17 UTC 2006

Based on my previous experiences with Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP
SP2 with NTP and WTS, I can assure you the performance you've obtained
is the best you can hope.

With Win2k synced on a RS232 GPS I had an offset of + / - 5 ... 10 ms
(far away from a FreeBSD system).

Please note that on a heavy loaded system (Windows / Linux / any
operating system) the performances degades rapidly (in the order of
hundreds of milliseconds or in some cases more). We have in our NOC a
server with 2 Xeon / 1.4 GHz / 4 GB RAM / 1,5TB HDD -with Linux - a
heavy loaded machine. The offset is sometimes more than 400-500ms !
When there is a very low user activity the offset is 1-2 ms, synced
with an internal Stratum 1 server on a gigabit network.

For information regarding time keeping and interrupts on Windows
systems may I recommend these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735619174/sr=8-1/qid=1155531653/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5512552-6913736?ie=UTF8

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0849358051/sr=8-1/qid=1155531892/ref=sr_1_1/102-5512552-6913736?ie=UTF8