[ntp:questions] ntp startup behaviour under Windows

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sun Aug 20 03:21:25 UTC 2006

John Allen wrote:
> I've been looking into the startup behaviour of ntp under Windows. I'm
> running ntp 4.2.0b from the Meinberg distribution as a service under Windows
> XP SP2.
>
> I've noticed that if the log file is enabled in ntp.conf, then ntp errors do
> not show up as events in the Windows Event Viewer. Is this the expected
> behaviour? I would have expected to see the errors both in the log file
> (where they are visible) and also in the Event Viewer.

Yes. The current design of the logging can only send the messages to one
place. This is no different to doing this on Unix. To do anything else
would require that we implement something like the BIND 9 logging and
then you would be specifying mulitple logging streams in the
configuration file.

Is there a need for this? I don't see this as a high-priority requirement.

Danny