[ntp:questions] Re: Question to NTP developers

Eugen COCA ecoca at eed.usv.ro
Thu Aug 24 06:32:38 UTC 2006

Hal Murray wrote:
> >My GPS is configured to send three strings (RMC, GLL and GSA) every
> >second - I've verified this.
>
> I'd try turning off GLL and GSA.  The extra work to send them may
> add jitter to the RMC messages.  It's a long shot.

I've tried this several months ago and the result was the same. We may
explain this as the interval between the two RMC strings (one second)
have nothing to do with the PPS signal witch is delivered by another
piece of hardware in the GPS receiver on another wire. The PPS sync in
the kernel count on the signal on the DCD pin of the RS232 interface.

P.S. Is there any NTP server without the "pps sync disabled" in his log
? Just curious about the hardware involved ...