[ntp:questions] Re: NTP for Windows: Final Release of stable version

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Tue Aug 29 13:59:07 UTC 2006

Heiko Gerstung wrote:
> My fellow members of the Church of the Nanosecond,
>
> due to a number of bug reports regarding the current NTP version
> included in our Windows Installer, I decided to release an older
> version of a windows NTP binary to allow end users to get rid of the
> stability problems the "xmas" version of NTP has on some systems.
>
> Nevertheless the "xmas" Installer was a great success and has been
> downloaded more than 16,000 times this year.
[]
> Best regards,
> Heiko

Heiko,

I am most grateful for your work in releasing the Windows version.  Your
efforts are appreciated.  Despite having the tools to hand, and at least
some experience, I have not found it possible to keep up with the current
builds of NTP compiling the software for Windows myself.

I have your "xmas" version installed on 6 PCs here, and I have observed
that under certain conditions (related to DVB-based satellite data
acquisition software loosing satellite lock) NTP can become unstable, with
the drift file sometimes containing wildly incorrect values.  Is this the
sort of instability you have had reported?  In other words, should I
downgrade?

Thanks,
David