[ntp:questions] maxpoll: suse-9.3, ntp-4.20, ext. (windows-based) gps ref clock

John Brookes-Red Bee Media John.Brookes at redbeemedia.com
Tue Dec 5 11:50:44 UTC 2006

In the above setup, I have the following server line in /etc/ntp.conf

server <ip-address> prefer iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 10
fudge <ip-address> stratum 1

and the following in /etc/sysconfig/xntp

XNTPD_INIT_NTPDATE="<ip-address>"

ntp picks up the initial value and uses the server (which is on the
local subnet) for syncing, but the poll times quickly go way beyond the
range of the maxpoll.

I'm all for letting ntp decide how often to poll, but they are running
very time sensitive apps and the local clocks are wandering too much...

In which way am I being stupid and/or what else can I do?

Best regards,

JohnB

This email may contain confidential information. If you receive it in error please immediately advise the sender and delete it from your system without copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance upon it. Red Bee Media Limited has taken precautions in respect of its email communications to preserve confidentiality and to ensure that any attachment has been checked for viruses.  However, we cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of interceptions and software viruses and you should take your own precautions before responding to us by email and carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.