[ntp:questions] HP media vault and stratum-1's

Marc Brett marc at fordson.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 14 08:28:42 UTC 2006

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 06:10:57 GMT, "Lee Devlin"
<lee._remove_this_1st_devlin at hp.com> wrote:

>I've written up
>an entry in the FAQ for anyone who would like to change the default IP
>addresses to some other values:
>
>http://www.k0lee.com/hpmediavault#ntp
>
>Lee Devlin
>http://www.k0lee.com
>

>"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200612 at gmail.com> wrote in
>> I thought companies agreed to stop doing this nonsense years ago.

>From the FAQ:

"There is a lot of controversy about accessing public NTP StratumOne servers by
client devices."

Wrong.  The controversy ended years ago,  The rules of engagement are crystal
clear.  Stratum 1 servers should be avoided by clients wherever possible.

The USNO rules of engagement:

"We request that you allow no more than three of your clients to poll our
servers directly. Organizations with many clients should obtain time from local
stratum 2 servers. ISPs should configure routers or firewalls to serve as
stratum 2 servers to the ISP network."

USNO's tick & tock (used by Media Vaults), and ntp2 are all stratum 1 machines
in Washington, DC.

"Note, the following three NTP servers are part of an IP load-balanced farm. You
should choose only ONE of these three Washington, DC servers "

The Fukuoka University server is Stratum 2, and it's listed as "open access" in
the udel lists.

Full marks to HP, though, for allowing the NTP server list to be configurable.

Still, why can't HP maintain its own NTP servers for its own products?