[ntp:questions] NTP daemon broken in 2.6.19?

MH mhaag at telkomsa.net
Sun Dec 17 07:10:59 UTC 2006

I recently upgraded my kernel from 2.6.13 to 2.6.19 and discovered that NTP
service is no longer functional. The NTP daemon logs the following:

cap_set_proc() failed to drop root privileges: Operation not permitted

I read another post by someone with a 2.6.18 kernel who experienced
something similar and resolved the problem by passing the following kernel
configuration parameter: clocksource=acpi_pm...which I tried, but it
doesn't help. Thoughts? Suggestions?