[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd transmit timestamp precision

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Sat Feb 18 02:20:28 UTC 2006

Dave,

Your patch handles the fuzz for gettimeofday() but not the case where some
OS implements getclock() or clock_gettime() badly.

What would be bad about moving the fuzz code after the #endif that closes
the "get time" routines and just fuzzing in all cases?  If that is really
overkill for high-res systems, change the test from:

   if (sys_precision != 0)

  if ((sys_precision != 0) && (sys_precision > -7))

(for example).

>>> In article <dt5jnh$aee$1 at dewey.udel.edu>, "David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> writes:

David> But, I finally punctured my skull about the precision measurement
David> method, which until now fuzzed the measurement. ...

David> So, the get_systime() routine in current ntp-dev has been changed to
David> fuzz the bits only after calibration and to fuzz all the
David> nonsignificant bits less than the measured precision.