[ntp:questions] Re: Crypto iffpar

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sun Jan 1 04:06:14 UTC 2006

Serge Bets wrote:
> Hello Danny,
>
>  On Tuesday, December 27, 2005 at 14:02:22 +0000, Danny Mayer wrote:
>

>>Steve Kostecke wrote:
>>
>>>I do not disbelieve your claim that _you_ need to use a client
>>>sym-link (or whatever the equivalent is on your OS) to activate
>>>Identity Schemes.
>>
>>I disbelieve this claim as it is not OS specific (modulo Windows).
>

> I don't understand what you mean: My claim is indeed not OS specific.

I didn't say it was. My reference to Windows relates to the difficulties
of dealing with Unix-specific usages like symlinks.

> Initially I reported it on Win client, because the problem happened me
> there. I never said it was Win specific, but of course it had to be
> investigated. Later checks seem to indicate a general and recent
> problem. Only Steve accused Windows, without serious justification.

Steve had nothing to say about Windows. He doesn't have the knowledge. I
was the one who mentioned it.

>>Serge's setup has a problem when is causing him to work around this by
>>using a client sym-link.
>

> Do you have any suggestion about why IFF would succeed with a client
> symlink, and TC would succeed without? Outside of the 20051002 change?

IFF works fine without a client symlink.

>>Those pages [ConfiguringAutokey] are correct. We are running these
>>schemes all over UDel as well as a number of other places.
>

> With both latest ntp-dev and strict client setup?

I have no idea what a strict client setup is. The campus flock all run
with the latest ntp-dev code.

Danny