[ntp:questions] Re: New NTP version for Windows with GUI setup available

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Wed Jan 4 14:15:31 UTC 2006

Martin Burnicki wrote:
> Serge,
>
> Serge Bets wrote:
> [...]
>
>>AFAICS those random dance locks with "no error" (!) errors don't happen
>>on Linux, and don't happen on Windows in client mode.
>

> Error messages with the text "no error" are due to the following reason:
>
> Normally if a function fails there's a system variable "errno" which
> contains the error code which can be translated to an associated message
> text. This works under most operating systems, even Windows.
>
> However, there are some networking API functions under Windows which don't
> update the "errno" variable. Instead, you have to call the function
> WSAGetLastError() to retrieve the error code.

Unfortunately it's more complicated than that. For reasons best known to
Microsoft, if it's one of the network pieces of code you need to use
WSAGetLastError() while for other functions you need to use
GetLastError(). You end up having to look very carefully at MSDN help of
the function to figure out which one to call. There's no good reason to
have to call two different functions like this. I ended up having two
different versions of syslogging: msyslog() and netsyslog() to take care
of these differences. It's not a pretty picture.

> There are still some pieces of code in the NTP package where this extra
> handling for Windows has not yet been implemented and thus needs some
> cleanup.

Then we need to put together a list and get them fixed.

Danny