[ntp:questions] Re: Drift handling....

Roman Mäder newsXXF.10.rmaeder at spamgourmet.com
Thu Jan 5 15:33:44 UTC 2006

>>if an inexplicable (to ntpd) glitch happens, make as few assumptions as
>>possible. Probably the mode that ntpd uses when it starts without a drift
>>file is useful here. Something like:
>>- correct any offset
>>- get a quick estimate of the drift
>>- resume normal operation
>>
>>Roman
>>

> I don't see how your proposal would help in the actual case!  Given that
> half the world's servers step the leap second and half fail to do so, it
> makes a big difference which servers you use to calculate the drift.

my proposal was not specific to the current leap second discussion. if the
servers disagree, ntpd will nevertheless come to a conclusion on which
servers to trust, and eventually will conclude that the local time is
suddenly off by 1 second w.r.t. the servers it uses. That's when the fun
begins.

Roman