[ntp:questions] Re: Time set backward

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Jan 6 21:24:27 UTC 2006

Brian,

The ntpd daemon does not use Unix timers in any way except to implement
a recurring one-second interrupt which defines process time. All other
time values are based on either advancing or retarding the system clock
by some amount. The two functions are kept ruthlessly separate and
independent. Process time advances one second at a time whether or not
the system time is set back one hour by some means separate from ntpd,
but eventually ntpd will set it forward again.

I don't understand how POSIX can implement a time of day function using
timers. Timers operate in process time or system uptime; there is no way
to synchronize them to an arbitrary epoch determined from an external
source.

Dave