[ntp:questions] Re: SUSE OSS 10 NTPD Clock Drift

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Thu Jan 19 20:52:13 UTC 2006

On 2006-01-19, garskof <garskof at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had the same clock drift when it was set up with WinDoze, so I doubt
> it is SUSE that is at fault.

What is the kernel version (`uname -a`) and what hardware is being used?

Does the system use IDE drives or power management?

Is the system heavily loaded. I/O bound, etc.

> So ntp will only correct if the drift is less then some value? On
> startup it corrects no matter how off the clock is, but after that it
> never corrects again.

What is most likely happening is that the clock is drifting faster than
ntpd can correct it.

> I assumed there was a way to increase the number of times per day ntp
> checks with its servers.

ntpd _continuously_ disciplines (i.e. adjusts) your clock.

ntpd's poll interval (i.e. when it check the remote time servers) starts
at 64 seconds and, if conditions are right, increases to 1024 seconds
(~17 minutes).

> I guess a cron of ntpdate evey hour or so is my own choice. Sigh.

If you wish to go that route, run 'ntpd -qg' from cron; ntpdate is
deprecated.