[ntp:questions] Re: Looking for time sync hardware supported under Linux for under $400?

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Fri Jan 20 08:02:41 UTC 2006

>Terje, what's the power consumption?
>Low enough to steal power from the RS-232 port?

Garmin's data sheet says the GPS 18-LVC takes 60 mA.

TI's data sheet for the MAX207 says typical short circuit current
is 10 mA.

It wants between 4 and 5.5 V.  Even if you find a driver with enough
current, there is no guarantee that the voltage will be reasonable.

Probably better to use the USB trick.  I've seen similar hacks
stealing power from the keyboard/mouse connectors.

On the other hand, I have a SIIG CyberPro/CyberSerial PCI 4S that
has jumpers setup to feed out 5V or 12V on some pin.  The documentation
doesn't say which pin or how much current.