[ntp:questions] Re: Reach error codes

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Mon Jan 23 13:49:28 UTC 2006

SivaKumar Subramani wrote:

> When I execute the "ntpq -p" displays reach value for all the time
> source as 377.
> What it means? When this shall be set to proper value and system clock
> shall be sync'd.

Reach = 377 is perfect, this is an octal value with one bit for each of
the last 8 attempts to check the time.

Your offset value, which seems to be something like 725 seconds, but
could conceivably be even larger, is probably the problem:

Your local time needs to be approximately right before you start, unless
you remembered to use the -g option on startup.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>