[ntp:questions] Re: Reach error codes

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Mon Jan 23 20:48:32 UTC 2006

Nigel Henry wrote:
[snip]

> Hi Richard. Thanks for the fine explanation as to how, "Reach" works. I still
> have some problems with keeping the time synched on my 2 Linux machines. I
> know that I am on dialup, and perhaps is not the best way to go using NTP.
> The worst problem appears to be when I leave both machines running, and
> connected to the Internet when I have to take a sleep. When the dialup
> connection times out, the machine which retrieves time from the Internet has
> problems. The system clock actually stops. The other machine, which retrieves
> time across the LAN from this machine, has no problems, and retains the
> correct time (as near as dammit).

[snip]

When the machine that is connected to the net loses it's connection does it go to sleep?  It sounds
like there is a power manager that is either slowing the CPU way down or halting it when the machine
is idle - this is fatal if you are trying to keep good time as the number of cpu cycles is used as
a basis for the clock.

John