[ntp:questions] Re: Errors with NMEA refclock

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 30 20:39:13 UTC 2006

Danny Mayer wrote:

>David J Taylor wrote:
>

>>You are, of course, correct.  However, many devices /do/ allow higher speeds <snip>
>>David
>>

>If the specific baud rate is defined in the spec then we shouldn't be
>providing knobs to turn to change it.

If the specification is intended to make sure that other equipment
constrained to operate at 4800 baud can talk to it, I'd say that that
portion of the specification is not applicable here.  The two devices;
e.g. the computer and the GPS receiver can safely be allowed to operate
at whatever baud  rates both are capable of.  Of course if the receiver
happens to be capable of generating only five characters per second,
even changing the baud rate to 115K won't help.