[ntp:questions] Re: Reference clocks questions

Julien julien.allanos at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 16:35:30 UTC 2006

Richard B. Gilbert a écrit :

> The Garmin GPS18LVC is available for something like $85 US.  An Oncore
> M12 timing receiver with evaluation circuit board, is available from
> http://www.synergy-gps.com/ for around $200 US.  The Oncore used to be
> made by Motorola; they discontinued it and it is now made by another
> manufacturer.  I have an Oncore and have found that it works very well.
> More expensive receivers are available with metal cases, switches,
> blinking lights etc.  They may be worth the extra cost; the evaluation
> board I bought doesn't even have holes that would permit it to be
> mounted in a box.
>
> Just be certain that the receivers you buy are designed for timing
> service rather than navigation and have a Pulse per Second (PPS) output.

According to http://time.qnan.org/, the Garmin GPS18LVC looks fine to
me, however I have a few concerns:

1/ I don't want to use my soldering iron. Anyone knows a reseller that
provide something similar to the RS-232 interface at
http://time.qnan.org/ ?

2/ My servers are shipped with RHEL3, which come with a 2.4
pre-compiled Linux kernel and ntpd. I want to avoid any patching and
compilation. What do I need to do to make ntpd read the PPS and the GPS
time? Would the serial module (providing /dev/ttys*) and gpsd suffice?

Thanks a lot for your help.