[ntp:questions] Re: ntp linux daemon drift apart from Windows Net Time Server

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 3 02:01:42 UTC 2006

DavidO wrote:
> All:
> Thanks for your suggestions:
>
> I can sycnhronize without any problem with linux machines.
> The problem is that we worked with embedded units using linux and
> sometimes these units can only syncronize with one computer (The
> relation has to be one to one).
> Now, some of the time servers can be either linux or windows. Our linux
> systems should be able to synchronize to computers that can have either
> linux or windows operating systems.
> Anyway, I was wondering if somebody know what is the OLDEST windows
> time server version that can synchronize with linux ntpd version 4.2.
> Also, I was wondering if anybody has been able to synchronize to an
> SNTP windows version from a linux ntp 4.2 version.

<snip>
Windows versions below W2K3 run a crippled version of the SNTP protocol
and should not be used as servers in any situation where the correct
time is important!  Windows only queries its server for the time three
or four times per day!   There is just no way you can get reliable and
accurate time from a setup like that.

Windows 2003 has much improved timekeeping but I still would not want to
use it as a server if anything else were available.

If you must use Windows as an NTP server, install the full NTP package
and use that in preference to Microsoft's W32TIME.  Two versions of NTPD
has been built for Windows.  At least one of them includes a windows
installer.

See
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Main/ExternalTimeRelatedLinks#Microsoft_Windows
for the of Windows ports.