[ntp:questions] Re: ntp linux daemon drift apart from Windows Net Time Server

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 4 18:50:56 UTC 2006

DavidO wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>That's actually in Windows 2003 SP1. It was not in the original version.
>>It doesn't mean that we recommend it since we have almost no experience
>>with it.
>

> My question is: can I synchronize to a Windows 2003 SP1 from my linux
> box?
>
> and if I cannot, what is the oldest WINDOWS (w32tm) Net Time software
> (not Meinberg nor other third party NTP software), I can sync to from
> my linux box.

<snip>

Unless someone with some experience speaks up here, you'll just have to
try it.  If accurate time is important I would avoid using Windows as a
server.  If you must, and if you have the capability, you might want to
temporarily connect a GPS reference clock to your Linux machine and
compare the time from the GPS receiver with the time from the Windows
system.  It's conceivable that Windows could surprise everyone involved
and turn in a decent performance but I'd want to see hard evidence.