[ntp:questions] Re: Box not synchronizing

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Tue Jun 6 20:36:41 UTC 2006

On 2006-06-06, mooron at mooron.com <mooron at mooron.com> wrote:

> This is what I consider a minimal NTP.CONF:
>
> server x.x.x.x maxpoll 6

ntpd automatically manages the poll period based upon a number of
factors. Under ideal conditions the poll period will increase to 1024
seconds (or 17.067 minutes).

Forcing ntpd to poll someone elses' time server every 64 seconds is
considered abusive.

> driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
> enable auth

Authentication is enabled by default (at least for ntp 4.2.x).

> That simple configuration is all you really need in almost
> all cases.

Your sample configuration is a _very_ bad example.